Sunday, February 27, 2011

Kason's birth story!

Kason John Moffitt was born Dec 26 @ 11:37pm weighing 8lbs 2ozs, 21.5 inches long.

My water broke on Christmas day at 4am. Christmas eve I had went to bed and my husband and siblings were up a bit later drinking. When my hubby came to bed he went to the bathroom and left the toliet seat up.....right after I woke up and had to pee and "fell" into the toliet....my husband says I have never yelled his name that loud before - lol and we joke about how that was how my water broke!!!

I wasn't sure my water had broke, I just felt an extra gush when I went to the bathroom so I went back to bed and woke up at 9am realizing after several "gushes" that it was the real deal - we opened presents with my family and then headed to the hospital to get checked out.

They admitted me due to my membranes rupturing and I was dilated but no regular contractions (that I could feel anyways) so they let me try to naturally progress - I dilated to 3 cm and at 8am on the 26th they started pitocin - contractions were starting to get stronger but progression was slow. I was getting major back pain and was in alot of pain and ended up getting a shot of morphine. I really didn't want to but at this point I hadn't slept at all and wasn't far enough along to get the epidural. I was in and out of sleep for about 2 hours but was still in a bunch of pain.... at 6pm I was finally 4cm and able to get the epidural, which only half worked (my left side still had feeling) and was having intense pressure in my backend. At this point I was having contractions every 3-5 minutes and they were lasting 90 seconds. I am a pretty tough girl but was in PAIN and nothing was helping... They tried to up the epidural and then readminister and it didn't really work again....and when they checked me at 9pm I was only dilated to 7 cm. At this point I was so tired (41 hours since my water had broke) and and in pain which wasn't allowing my body to relax and let me progress so my doctor decided a c-section was the route we should go. I absolutely hadn't wanted that but at this point I welcomed relief. I think the hardest thing was waiting for the spinal they gave me for the c-section and having contractions on the operating table. The moment they administered the spinal I had relief and thankfully the c-section went well and recovery wise from that I am doing well. I guess Kason had been brow presentation (causing the major pressure in the wrong area) and probably why I couldn't relax enough to let my body work. Right after he was born I had asked the doctor "is it a boy for sure" and they had responded "yup he sure is - he's already peeing on the nurse!" I remember looking behind me at Kason and seeing so much blond looking hair! The nurse let me see him and give him a kiss and Kevin went with Kason while they finished the surgery.  It took a little while for Kason's oxygen level to get to the right level but the moment he let out a good cry it was right where they wanted it. Kevin said when they gave him his shot he grimaced but didn't cry and was rooting right away to be fed. It was such an amazing feeling seeing him when Kevin brought him back to me in the recovery room and he amazingly latched right away.

Kason slept that first night almost 8 hours after the c-section and I wasn't able to sleep at all (adrenaline? anxiety from all that had happened?) He took to breastfeeding but my milk didn't come in and he shredded my nipples...after almost 4 days of no sleep we turned to bottle feeding and things are going so much better now!

My heart goes out to the other ladies that had a labour/delivery that didn't go as planned, as I know how much stress and sadness it has caused me....BUT I hold my beautiful little guy and it makes it all ok - life is truly such a miracle and I am just so happy to have my little man here :)
Right after being born!

Holding hands with Daddy...

Waiting to see mommy...


Born at 11:37pm - 8lbs 2oz, 21.5 inches.

We were release from the hospital on Dec 29, after begging my doctor (we had been there since 1pm on Dec 25th!!! Getting home was such an awesome feeling...although at this point we had not had much sleep and we had an interesting first night because I couldn't even get into bed due to my c-section pain...our bed is pretty high and it was hilarious that I couldn't even possibly get in - Kevin ended up having to take the bed frame off!!! Here's a picture of Kason and I cuddling after getting home.

Our little man is amazing and the one thing I remember from those early days is thinking - "that was inside me!!" He was so big!! I also couldn't believe how much hair he had and how absolutely perfect he is!!!

1 comment: